Thursday, December 3, 2009

Single mother seeks Bumiputera status for son

BUMI STATUS SOUGHT: Pauline shows copies of the applications


A single mother yesterday appealed to the state government to give her Eurasian son Bidayuh Bumiputera status.

Pauline James Gunjau, from Pujut 7, said her British husband William Fowler died in 2005 and her son Alexander Gunjau Fowler now hoped to be recognised as a Bumiputera.


Alexander was born in Kuching in 1988 and is a Malaysian citizen.

Pauline told The Borneo Post she first applied to the Native Court in Kuching in 2006 and submitted all the documents needed including her Amanah Saham Nasional (ASN) bank book and land titles.

However, she was told her application was incomplete so she resubmitted her application in 2007.

“Until today there is no reply from the Native Court on my son’s application and I’m submitting again for the third time now,” said Pauline.

“I am very concerned now, if anything happens to me, what will happen to my son’s status?” she lamented.

She added that Alexander completed his Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) at SMK Datuk Permaisuri with 9As and 1B.

“He is currently studying at Nottingham University in Kuala Lumpur, pursuing Electrical Engineering,” she said.

Pauline said Alexander was now 21 and really wanted to be recognised as a Bidayuh.


“I hope the authorities concerned can give the status to my son as a native Bidayuh and stop the red tape, as it will affect my son’s future undertakings,” she said.

Bp Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009

No comments: