Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A mother’s great love for adopted son with HIV

A MOTHER’S LOVE: Norlina hugs Uteh, regardless of his illness and biological state

A shy boy sits quietly next to his mother. When asked for his name, he timidly looks down. On the surface, he seems like any ordinary boy.

But this 10 year-old, nicknamed ‘Uteh’, carries the burden of living with HIV. Both his biological parents are no longer alive.

Uteh was adopted by Norlina Alwi, founder of Nurul Iman Welfare Society for the Children of People Living with HIV/AIDS (Pernim), when he was three years old after his mother passed away.

His grandfather gave him away for adoption as he was not capable of taking care of Uteh.

Norlina currently has 50 children, of whom seven are her own and the rest adopted. All her children are currently living with her under one roof. The youngest adopted child is aged three months and the eldest 16 years old.

As for her own children, they are aged between three and 18 years old.

When asked why she adopted so many children even though she already had seven of her own, Norlina simply stated: “I want to be a mother for them.

“I cannot stand seeing a child without a mother, more so a child that is ill. My heart is all out for them. Children need love and care. I am sure many women feel the same way I do.”

Norlina, who is from Ampang, Selangor, was in town yesterday to attend a press conference for The Women’s Forum 2010 organised by Hawa Ghazzali Holdings Sdn Bhd.

She is one of the five speakers invited to share her experience at the forum to be held at the Pullman Hotel here on May 2.

“I am here to share my experience with participants. I am sure mothers can relate to how I feel.”

According to Norlina, only three of her adopted children are diagnosed with HIV.

“I used to have four children with HIV but one passed away last year in August. She was only nine years-old,” she tearfully recalled.

“The rest of them are healthy. They are orphans whose parents either abandoned them, have died from illnesses such as AIDS or were born out of wedlock,” she explained.

She spends about RM50,000 monthly for all her children. Nonetheless, she has not asked for any financial help from her husband, Norlina told reporters.

“My husband was not very keen in the first place when I started adopting children but he has accepted it now. I don’t use his money. I do my own business and use my own money to take care of the children. There was a point where I had to lease my belongings but now I manage,” she said.

Uteh does not have a lot of time left, she informed reporters.

“His time is near. The doctors told me last year in July that he is dying. He stopped taking medication for his illness but still takes antibiotics to fend off infections and germs. I also give him supplements to stay strong,” she added.

Uteh is aware of his condition. He knows he is dying because he watched his adopted sister suffer the same fate.

“I asked him if he wanted to leave (die) in the hospital or at home. He told me ‘home’. So I’ve brought him home to be with me,” she said.

Norlina has also brought Uteh to visit his parents’ grave to pay respects. According to her, the simple boy has never demanded for anything.

“He is such a good boy. He never gives me troubles.

“He will die anytime but he is a strong boy. I love him with all my heart.”

No comments: